Thursday, May 15, 2008

Science Groupie!

Part of my goal in creating this blog is to discuss where things are going. I'm not a scientist per se, but I am a fan of the research that scientists are engaged in. Some are more popular than others, and some are a bit on the fringe, due to the "off the beaten path" nature of their research.

1. Dr. Michio Kaku . This guy rocks. If you watch the Science Channel, you may have seen him on any number of shows discussing cosmology or astrophysics. He does a great job explaining the outrageous nature of our universe.
2. Dr. Stanton Friedman. Trained as a nuclear physicist, Dr. Friedman turned his attention to the study of the UFO phenomenon when the market fell out of the nuclear physics market. Yeah, he's a controversial character, without a doubt, but his work as a ufologist has done more to legitimize interest in this area than any other researcher, advancing the research of the original ufologist, J. Allen Hynek. I include him on this list because he created the beaten path for all that have an interest in UFOs. I believe in UFOs - there is without a doubt in my mind flying objects that have not been identified. I'm not saying that there's a bunch of alien aircraft out there, but there are some that defy classification.
3. Stephen Hawking. The dean of the school. Anyone interested in astrophysics should familiarize themselves with Professor Hawking's work.
4. Neil deGrasse Tyson . Like Dr. Kaku, Mr. Tyson is one of the most visible astrophysicists on the face of the planet, and is widely seen on PBS as host of NOVAScience Now. I've seen some of his lectures on television, and he has a knack for explaining complex topics in a fashion all should be able to understand. I'd love to take my kids to one of his lectures.
5. Dr. Alexei Filippenko . Another high-profile astrophysicist. I've enjoyed some of his explanations as well.

There are any number of other scientists I'd love to write about, folks like Jeff Marcy, and the folks working with the Large Hadron Collider, as well as the experiemental fusion reactor in Los Alamos... but if I don't stop somewhere, I'll be writing until the Milky Way galaxy collides with Andromeda...

No comments: